1. Life is not fair
2. How can I be happy while others suffer
3. How can I not be happy while others suffer
4. Others will suffer whether or not I am happy
5. It is not the suffering of others that causes my happiness
6. It is not the not-suffering of others that causes my unhappiness
I have been attracted to the idea that naming is a form of violence
but does that mean we should go around calling everyone Hey You
which seems like another sort of violence
even though it is a way of recognizing the other
What can be said on this point?
Death as a Way of Life [We wonder at our shifting capacities, keep]
We wonder at our shifting capacities, keep adding and striking skills from the bottoms of our résumés under constant revision like the inscriptions on tombs shared for generations unnervingly up to date Made nervous by our shift in capabilities, we write:
I visited a country where kittens lay dying
under every bench, in every gutter, next to
every cigarette butt. One made me weep.
Tow made me worry. Three made me
look away I visited a city with very few
strays. The first one I saw I adopted.
What could it mean?
—posted by Sarah. 6.18.06
Hit "publish" and look away.
The New Violence: I visited a country where
everything looked like home