Death as a Way of Life [It began:]
1. Life is not fair
2. How can I be happy while others suffer
3. How can I not be happy while others suffer
4. Others will suffer whether or not I am happy
5. It is not the suffering of others that causes my happiness
6. It is not the not-suffering of others that causes my unhappiness
I have been attracted to the idea that naming is a form of violence
but does that mean we should go around calling everyone Hey You
which seems like another sort of violence
even though it is a way of recognizing the other
What can be said on this point?
From You and Three Others Are Approaching a Lake by Anna Moschovakis. Copyright © 2011 by Anna Moschovakis. Published by Coffee House Press. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.