1. I cannot freeze sound
2. or collapse phantom scaffolding
3. I open one contradiction
4. after another. They call this “erotic intelligence”
5. or emptiness
6. They abuse the powdery line
7. at once blessed and beautiful
8. and blank
9. as benign limbs
10. Where have you gone in your red dress?
11. You have done nothing wrong and you are not condemned
12. Naked as a word
13. the body’s modifications, no matter how infinitesimal
14. are all that is given
What bloody lense holds firm between this mystery & us? Two shiny crows
tapping intelligently on the glass of a dream.
Please! Do not make me do the human things—
I must tend to my many plankton realities,
must be off with my better self:
One million faces lined
along a mirrored tunnel & in each that same tricky knot begging.
You couldn’t know how long I suffered over it, my long waiting at the end of the maze.
I can only guess what you think I’m after, stretching in the mirror
while you rattle on about sabotage,
an old tension springing in the body.