- Books by any translator who meets one of the below criteria on the date of the application deadline, in any given year, are eligible:
- U.S. Citizen
- resident of the United States for a ten-year period prior to the submission deadline, or
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), Legal Permanent Status (LPS), or any subsequent categories designated by the U.S. authorities as conferring similar enhanced status upon non-citizens living in the United States.
Please note: By law the Academy of American Poets must report cash prizes awarded to individuals to the Internal Revenue Service. If individuals have a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), the individual will receive a 1099. If the individual does not have an SSN or ITIN, the individual will receive a 1042 and could be subject to a withholding of a percentage of the cash prize.
- The Raiziss/de Palchi Book Prize is given for the translation into English of a significant work of modern, standard (non-dialect) Italian poetry.
- Only books published in the United States are eligible for the prize.
- Publishers may submit books published in any year, but only books by living translators are eligible.
- Books must be published in a standard edition (48 pages or more).
- Self-published books are not eligible.
- Publishers may submit as many titles as they wish.
- Only online submissions are accepted for the award through Submittable: poets.submittable.com/submit.
- The decisions of the Academy of American Poets as to eligibility are final. The Academy of American Poets reserves the right not to award the book prize in any given year.
- The winner will be announced on September 2022.
- All correspondence concerning the contest should be addressed to the Academy of American Poets and sent to [email protected].
Please note: It’s the mission of the Academy of American Poets to support American poets at all stages of their careers and to foster the appreciation of contemporary poetry. In furtherance of our mission, we are committed to maintaining the highest standards of quality and integrity in our publications and programs, and expect and require the same from the poets with whom we collaborate.
All applicants and selected award recipients agree that, as part of their eligibility to receive the Raiziss/de Palchi Book Prize, they will maintain the highest standards of fairness, decency and personal integrity, in the Academy’s sole discretion, including with adherence to all applicable laws and community values. The decisions of the Academy of American Poets regarding eligibility, both initial and throughout the award period, are final.