There are many ways to make a planned gift, joining your legacy with the future of the Academy of American Poets. For more information, or to join the Marie Bullock Society by pledging a planned gift, email [email protected].
Please name the Academy of American Poets as a beneficiary of your donor advised fund, retirement plan, IRA, or life insurance policy. Simply fill out a beneficiary designation form from your plan.
The gift of your home is a deeply meaningful way to support the Academy of American Poets. It's possible to make a transformational pledge during your lifetime—without affecting your lifestyle—through a "retained life estate." You may prefer to use real estate to fund a charitable remainder trust or a charitable lead trust.
CHARITABLE REMAINDER TRUSTS
Such arrangements may be tailored to meet your financial needs and can provide either a fixed or variable income for the life of the beneficiaries or for a set number of years. The donated assets (often cash, securities, and/or real estate) are irrevocably transferred to a Trustee. Upon termination of the trust, the remaining assets pass to the Academy of American Poets. A portion of your contribution may be tax-deductible in the year you make the gift.
• A charitable remainder annuity trust pays income as a fixed dollar amount that remains constant for the term of the trust.
• A charitable remainder unitrust pays income that varies from year to year.
CHARITABLE LEAD TRUSTS
Such an arrangement provides income to the Academy of American Poets for a specified period of time, after which the trust property passes to the donor's heirs.
• Often stock or income-generating real estate are irrevocably transferred to a trust at a minimum amount.
• The Academy of American Poets receives income from the trust for a specified period of time, after which the property in the trust is transferred to the heirs without further taxation.
• An immediate charitable deduction on one’s gift tax return is available for the present value of the total income stream the Academy of American Poets will receive during the trust term.
• This gift can reduce or eliminate the gift and/or estate tax that would normally be payable on the transfer of these assets to your heirs.