Advertising & Marketing Internship (start date: January 25, 2021) - PLEASE NOTE: we are no longer accepting applications for this position.
The Academy of American Poets is seeking a part-time Advertising & Marketing Intern, who will report to the Advertising & Marketing Manager, to start on January 25, 2021. The internship is a paid, remote, ten-hour-per-week position. The primary goal of this position is to assist the Advertising & Marketing department, which—among other things—ensures that literary magazines, presses, conferences, and organizations can promote their books and programs to the poets and poetry readers who rely on the Academy of American Poets for information.
Background of the Organization:
The Academy of American Poets has been promoting poets and poetry in the U.S. for over 80 years. Based in New York but with a national profile and thousands of members, the Academy connects millions of people to great poetry through its online presence at Poets.org; Poem-a-Day series; award-winning K-12 resources, including Teach This Poem; biannual magazine American Poets; sponsorship of National Poetry Month; as well as readings and special events. The Academy also awards a number of major prizes for poets, as well as college awards in schools across the country, and is the nation’s largest funder of poets.
- Review tasks on Todoist on a daily basis
- Meet with the Advertising & Marketing Senior Manager once a week to go over tasks and priorities, either via Google Meet or over the phone
- Attend monthly all-hands-on-deck staff meetings to report to the group on recent and forthcoming projects
- Assist with scheduling, collecting, and placing online and print advertisements
- Assist with press releases and other materials for earned media
- Invoice advertisers and National Poetry Month sponsors
- Follow up on invoices
- Process payments as they come in and send frequent payment reports to the Advertising & Marketing Senior Manager
- Assist with the renewal of existing advertisers from previous fiscal years
- Research new prospective advertisers and send pitches
- Assist with the renewal of National Poetry Month sponsors from previous fiscal years
- Research new prospective National Poetry Month sponsors
- Ensure National Poetry Month sponsors’ benefits are fulfilled within the calendar year of sponsorship
- Build seasonal "books round-up" lists in newsletters and online, one in the spring for National Poetry Month and one in the fall for new fall titles
- Add partner, sponsor, and advertiser events to the Poetry Near You calendar
- Select a weekly event from the Poetry Near You calendar to spotlight on social media
- Collect press clips
- Post Academy updates and events on social media platforms (Facebook and Twitter)
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent organizational, communication, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Goals driven
- Collaborative style and a sense of humor
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, Google applications, and email communication platforms a plus
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) a plus
- Experience with Mailchimp and Campaign Monitor a plus
- Experience with DoubleClick for Publishers a plus
- A passion for poetry; familiarity with the poetry community a plus
The American Academy of Poets is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to having a staff that reflects the diversity of the population that it serves. Interested candidates can email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. PLEASE NOTE: we are no longer accepting applications for this position.