- Any translator who meets one of the below criteria on the date of the submission deadline, in any given year, is eligible:
- U.S. Citizen
- resident of the United States for the ten-year period prior to the submission deadline, or
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), Legal Permanent Status (LPS), or any subsequent categories designated by the U.S. authorities as conferring similar enhanced status upon non-citizens living in the United States.
Please note: By law the Academy of American Poets must report cash prizes awarded to individuals to the Internal Revenue Service. If individuals have a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), the individual will receive a 1099. If the individual does not have an SSN or ITIN, the individual will receive a 1042 and could be subject to a withholding of a percentage of the cash prize.
- Only books published in the United States during 2020 are eligible for the 2021 prize.
- Books must be published in a standard edition (48 pages or more).
- Collaborations by up to two translators are eligible.
- Anthologies will not be considered.
- Self-published books will not be considered.
- The Academy of American Poets agrees to purchase for distribution to its members copies of the winning book. The Academy of American Poets may purchase additional copies of the book for its own use, but not for resale. No royalties will be paid to the author on the copies purchased by the Academy of American Poets. The publisher agrees to make available to the Academy of American Poets the number of copies requested and to sell the books at a special discount based on a percentage markup of the PPB (printing, paper, and binding) costs.
- Only online submissions are accepted for the award through Submittable: poets.submittable.com/submit.
- The winner will be announced in September.
- The decisions of the Academy of American Poets as to eligibility are final.
For more information, please contact: [email protected]