- Any translator who meets one of the below criteria on the date of the submission deadline, in any given year, is eligible:
- U.S. Citizen
- resident of the United States for the ten-year period prior to the submission deadline, or
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), Legal Permanent Status (LPS), or any subsequent categories designated by the U.S. authorities as conferring similar enhanced status upon non-citizens living in the United States.
Please note: By law the Academy of American Poets must report cash prizes awarded to individuals to the Internal Revenue Service. If individuals have a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), the individual will receive a 1099. If the individual does not have an SSN or ITIN, the individual will receive a 1042 and could be subject to a withholding of a percentage of the cash prize.
- Only books published in the United States during 2023 are eligible for the 2024 prize.
- Books must be published in a standard edition (48 pages or more).
- Collaborations by up to two translators are eligible.
- Self-published books will not be considered.
- The Academy of American Poets agrees to purchase for distribution to its members copies of the winning book. The Academy of American Poets may purchase additional copies of the book for its own use, but not for resale. No royalties will be paid to the author on the copies purchased by the Academy of American Poets. The publisher agrees to make available to the Academy of American Poets the number of copies requested and to sell the books at a special discount based on a percentage markup of the PPB (printing, paper, and binding) costs.
- Each submission must be accompanied by a completed entry form signifying the publisher’s acceptance of these guidelines. Along with the entry form(s), publishers must also submit two (2) copies of each book to: Landon Translation Award, Academy of American Poets, 75 Maiden Ln, Ste 901, New York, New York 10038.
- The winner of the 2023 Harold Morton Landon Translation Award will be announced in September 2023.
- The winner of the 2024 Harold Morton Landon Translation Award will be announced in September 2024.
- All correspondence concerning the contest should be addressed to the Academy of American Poets and sent to [email protected].
- The decisions of the Academy of American Poets as to eligibility are final.
Please note: It’s the mission of the Academy of American Poets to support American poets at all stages of their careers and to foster the appreciation of contemporary poetry. In furtherance of our mission, we are committed to maintaining the highest standards of quality and integrity in our publications and programs, and expect and require the same from the poets with whom we collaborate.
All applicants and selected award recipients agree that, as part of their eligibility to receive the Harold Morton Landon Translation Award, they will maintain the highest standards of fairness, decency and personal integrity, in the Academy’s sole discretion, including with adherence to all applicable laws and community values. The decisions of the Academy of American Poets regarding eligibility, both initial and throughout the award period, are final.