The Academy of American Poets, which produces Poets.org, is the nation’s largest membership-based organization dedicated to fostering an appreciation of contemporary poetry and supporting poets at all stages of their careers. We invite your participation. There are many ways in which you can get involved and help build the audience for poetry:
- Sign up for and read Poem-a-Day, which delivers new poems to your in-box.
- Share poems from Poets.org's curated collection with your friends and family.
- Sign up for and read the bimonthly Academy Newsletter, which features a selection of timely poems and information about our programs.
- Learn more about poets and Poetry Near You, and list additional events in the calendar.
- Share Teach This Poem, lesson plans, an Educator Newsletter, and other free resources with K-12 teachers you know.
- In April, celebrate National Poetry Month (here are thirty ideas to help) and Poem in Your Pocket Day, and encourage students to participate in Dear Poet.
- Make a one-time, charitable donation to support the Academy of American Poets or become a monthly supporter.
- Join the Marie Bullock Society by pledging or making a legacy gift.
- Recognize a poetry lover in your life with a tribute gift.
- Make a gift of stock.
Importantly, we hope you might join in our work to advocate for poets and poetry year-round by becoming a member of the Academy of American Poets. Your membership signals your belief in poetry's important place in our culture. It also helps make all of our publications and programs possible, including the annual Walt Whitman Award, which launches a poet's first book. As a benefit of your membership you will receive our biannual magazine American Poets, a 10% discount to our Poets Shop, the official National Poetry Month poster, and other special benefits throughout the year. When you join the Academy of American Poets, you become an important part of a community of supporters demonstrating that poetry matters.
Poem-a-Day is the original and only daily digital poetry series featuring over 200 new, previously unpublished poems by today's talented poets each year. On weekdays, poems are accompanied by exclusive commentary by the poets, and several featured poems have been chosen for inclusion in the Best American Poetry Series. The series highlights classic poems on weekends.