- Any poet who meets one of the below criteria on the date of the submission deadline, in any given year, is eligible:
- U.S. Citizen
- resident of the United States for the ten-year period prior to the submission deadline, or
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), Legal Permanent Status (LPS), or any subsequent categories designated by the U.S. authorities as conferring similar enhanced status upon non-citizens living in the United States.
Please note: By law the Academy of American Poets must report cash prizes awarded to individuals to the Internal Revenue Service. If individuals have a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), the individual will receive a 1099. If the individual does not have an SSN or ITIN, the individual will receive a 1042 and could be subject to a withholding of a percentage of the cash prize.
- Poets are not eligible to apply if they have studied with the judge in full-time accredited courses within the last three years.
- To be eligible for the prize, the manuscript must be originally written in Spanish and accompanied by a translation in English. Poets may translate their own work or collaborate with a translator who may or may not be a poet. The poet and translator must share the $1,000 prize.
- Works translated into Spanish from another language are ineligible.
- Poems may have been previously published in periodicals or chapbooks, but the collection must not have been previously published, including self-publications and e-books.
- The original manuscript in Spanish must contain original poetry by one poet. There are no restrictions on the style of poetry or subject matter.
- The original manuscript in Spanish must be between 48 and 100 pages, typed single-spaced, unless the poems are meant to be presented using nonstandard spacing. Multiple poems may not appear on a single page.
- An applicant is only allowed one submission per year.
- The original manuscript in Spanish should include one title page with the manuscript title only. The manuscript should not contain any information that reveals the identity of its author.
- Only online submissions are accepted for the prize through Submittable: poets.submittable.com/submit.
- The original manuscript in Spanish must be .doc, .docx, or .pdf files.
- An acknowledgements page should not be included in the submission. Applicants who have published poems in magazines may include acknowledgment notes in the “Acknowledgements” field of the submission manager.
- The Academy of American Poets assumes no responsibility for manuscripts not received due to user error. Applicants may verify the receipt of their manuscript by logging into Submittable.
- The Academy of American Poets cannot consider manuscript revisions during the course of the contest. The winning poet will have an opportunity to revise before publication.
- Applicants may submit manuscripts elsewhere simultaneously but must notify the Academy of American Poets immediately if a manuscript is accepted for publication by another publisher.
- All applicants will be notified of the prize results by email by September 30, 2021.
- All correspondence concerning the prize should be addressed to the Academy of American Poets.
- The decisions of the Academy of American Poets as to eligibility are final.
For more information, please contact: