by Isabella Barricklow
1. The rain’s meditative exhale.
2. Trail toward ash, toward brightness.
Tornado, your grandmother’s hair,
Pasture, whistle, atmosphere.
1. Hollow sticks tenuously stacked
into the shape of animal.
2. Ghost that only appears when we’ve
failed or something’s failed us.
We are all the same.
Candle, butterfly, empty road at night.
Broth, breath, bruise, S.E. Hinton’s Outsiders.
1. Shadow of carnivorous
bird over your shoulder.
dirt beneath pine tree.
Smell of a red moon’s craters,
pale cheek going hollow overnight,
luck, as the difference between eyelash
and stray eyebrow hair.
1. Jar for everything you want to remember.
2. A different word for air.
3. Offering words in the shape
Bottom lip against teeth, sigh, dusk,
glass bottle of bourbon on the last
Tree trunk, full bathtub, blink, tomorrow.
back to University & College Poetry Prizes