Each April, the Academy of American Poets celebrates National Poetry month in the following ways:
- We offer the Dear Poet project to help teachers and students engage with the art of poetry in a meaningful way.
- We commission an artist to create an official National Poetry Month poster, which we distribute free of charge to over 120,000 teachers, librarians, and booksellers nationwide.
- We provide resources, including downloadable poems, for National Poem in Your Pocket Day.
- We publish and distribute a new poem every day through Poem-a-Day.
- We host range of special events and readings in April, including our star-studded annual Poetry & the Creative Mind event.
- We act as the official clearing house for news and information about National Poetry Month.
- We offer inspiration and resources for celebrating National Poetry Month on the local level, including tips for teachers and tips for librarians. (Share tips from your own celebrations by emailing email@example.com or tweeting them to @POETSorg using #npm15.)
- We ensure that poetry gains national attention in the media each April by sending press releases to editors and journalists across the country. As a result, thousands of articles about poetry appear in newspapers, magazines, and online media outlets.